Built in the 1380s, for St Thomas Percy, brother of Henry Percy, the Earl of Northumberland, Wressle Castle is Grade 1 listed. It was a quadrangular castle with four ranges surrounding a courtyard and four large oblong towers at each corner. It remained intact until the end of the Civil War when it was substantially demolished by an act of parliament. The south range of the castle was occupied and survived to have a brief life as part of a farmhouse complex but was burnt down in 1798 leaving the ruin we see today consisting of two three storey towers and an intervening full height unroofed two storey hall. Close to the river Derwent, which was navigable, and with gardens attached, it is suggested that it was built more as a country house rather than a military bastion.
Historic Property Restoration has been engaged on Phase 1 of the initial consolidation works to preserve this important Yorkshire castle. The work involves primarily stonemasonry repairs to the fabric of the building along with the removal of vegetation.