St Cuthbert's church and presbytery were designed by the English Architect Ignatius Bonomi and opened in 1827 replacing two Elvet Chapels. The tower was added to the church in 1869, and the building was consecrated in July 1910. An inspection of all of the Church’s property takes place every five years and a detailed report on the condition of the stonework revealed significant erosion with flaking and spalling and the Church was placed on English Heritage’s ‘Places of Worship at Risk Register'.
After the tender process, and with English Heritage’s approval of the project, Historic Property Restoration was appointed as principal contractor and preparatory work began on site in July 2013 with practical completion reached in February 2014.
Work included removal and replacement of the stone tracery to the Harry Clarke memorial window and the resolution of structural problems at the top of the church tower which were discovered when on site. Following expert advice from structural engineers HPR repaired and replaced timbers as necessary and added reinforcement to the tower. Further stability problems with the parapet at the top of the south wall of the church, required rebuilding of that part of the wall.