The Bowes Railway, built by George Stephenson in 1826, is the world's only operational preserved standard gauge cable railway system. It was built to transport coal from pits in Durham to boats on the River Tyne at Jarrow. The site is a Scheduled Ancient Monument and Historic Property Restoration have been engaged to carry out the restoration works to the Main Wagon Shop and associated buildings, where the engines and wagons were originally brought for repair.
The works involve removal of the asbestos roof, major works to the roof carcasing and re-roofing with modern profiled steel sheeting. Masonry works to the external fabric, opening up and restorating the windows, structural steelwork repairs, and new coatings to preseve the steelwork used for lifting the engines are all part of the scheme. The value of the works is £330K and work started on site in August 2013 and is scheduled for completion in February 2014.