Prebends Bridge, Durham WHS

Prebends Bridge, Durham

Prebends Bridge is one of three stone arched structures which cross the River Wear in the centre of Durham and was designed by George Nicholson, architect to the Dean and Chapter of Durham Cathedral. Built between 1772 -1778, the unusual name comes from the title of Prebendary, an honorary title given to senior parish priests awarded for long and dedicated service within a diocese.
 
The bridge forms part of the estate of Durham Cathedral and is Grade 1 Listed. Although it is wide enough for traffic, it is only used in an emergency and has been restricted to foot and cycle traffic for a number of years with a weight limit imposed. The last time it carried traffic was in 2010 while Sadler Street was being repaved and it provided the only link to and from Cathedral Close.
 
River traffic had been restricted due to pieces of stonework dropping from the intrados of the bridge arches caused by surface water leaking through from the carriageway after a new road deck had been installed by the County Council.
 
HPR’s involvement was confined to the provision and management of the bespoke and complex scaffold erected to support the structure to allow repairs to be undertaken. The company was recommended to the Clerk of Works by structural engineers Patrick Parsons Ltd. A specialist contractor was then engaged directly by the Dean and Chapter to inject a structural resin to stabilise the stone structure.

Historic Property Restoration Ltd Partners

Subscribe to our mailing list