The Grade II listed Little Mill Lime Kilns are situated near Longhoughton in Northumberland and were built sometime between 1725 and 1825. They lie next to the main east coast railway which began life as the Morpeth to Tweed mouth line and was built in the 1847.
At this time a large commercial circular kiln, one of the biggest built in England was constructed and then a bank of kilns which still survive was erected supplying lime for export through Berwick utilising the new rail link. Lime was needed both for the construction and the farming industries where it was spread on acidic upland pastures to “sweeten” the ground for grazing.
Circular in plan, the single pot lime kilns are constructed from coursed rubble with a charging ramp leading into the kiln from the south and three segmental-headed drawing arches separated by massive buttresses. Historic Property Restoration were engaged to carry out extensive masonry consolidation works over 3 successive years during the lime seasons. The works involved taking down and rebuilding the first 10 courses of the wall tops, consolidating the core of the kiln walls where they had collapsed, removal of vegetation, rebuilding the facing stonework and rebuilding the boundary walls.