Hamsterley Hall is a grade II* English country house built in the 18th Century by Sir John Swinburne. Following a grand tour in 1769 Henry and Martha Swinburne constructed the east range, a substantial addition to the original house which extended over two storeys with bay windows and castellations in the style of the Gothic Revival mansion. More recent alteration to the building were carried out in the mid 1900's by Viscount Gort, which included the addition of a gazebo from Beaudesert and a pinnacle from the Houses of Parliament within the formal gardens. The Hall is one of only a few remaining examples of Georgian Gothic architecture in England.
The building has fallen into a very poor state of repair, which sadly culminated in the need to demolish the West Wing. In an attempt to save the remainder of the historic building, scaffold support structures were introduced in 2010 to brace the roofs and walls of the building to prevent further collapse.
Historic Property Restoration have been engaged by the new owners, The Spry Family, to firstly carry out emergency stabilisation works to the structure. More recently we have started the sympathetic repair works necessary to restore the building to its former state. The works involve the complete replacement of the roof coverings and repairs to the roof structures, the installation of specialist cintec anchors to help stabilise the walls and significant amounts of masonry works to the fabric of the building. Extensive timber decay has occurred to the existing timbers which has necessitated the replacement of many of the structural timber elements of the building and comprehensive timber treatment works. New carved stone gothic window surrounds are being introduced to replicate the original historic features of the building and the sash windows are being carefully refurbished and repaired. The historic stained glass contained within the leaded windows is being removed, restored and reinstated in the more prominent windows of the building so that these important features can be retained. The stone crest above the doorway to the east range will also be faithfully replicated and carved by our stonemasons.
Further works to restore the crumbling Bothy structure at the rear of the property and a new build garage block in keeping with the historic context of the building also form part of the project. A complete new rainwater and drainage system will be installed and finally the ornate masonry structures within the formal gardens will be restored.
Works are due to be completed in autumn 2016.